- There are 8 million American women living with heart disease today
- 1 in 2 American women dies from cardiovascular disease. It claims the lives of nearly 500,000 women each year. That's about one death every minute.
- Since 1984,the number of female deaths from cardiovascular disease has exceeded that of males.
- The death rate due to cardio vascular disease is substantially higher in African-American women than in Caucasian women
- Nearly 39% of all female deaths in America occur from cardiovascular disease.
- This year an estimated 345,000 women will have a heart attack. Heart attacks occur an average of 10 years later in women than in men.
- 64% of women who die suddenly because of coronary heart disease had no previous symptoms.
Source: American Heart Assn.
Managed Healthcare Executive